Our country is made up of immigrants who made the journey to the United States in search of the American dream, but Donald Trump has declared war on immigrants. I strongly support comprehensive immigration reform. Sadly, due to a failure of leadership in Washington, our immigration system is broken. However, bashing immigrants doesn't make our country safer.
Our immigration system must:
- Ramp up efforts to improve border security to keep criminals out of our country;
- Provide a path to citizenship for undocumented immigrants already in this country who pay a fine, pay back taxes, and stand in line;
- Prioritize finding and deporting felony offenders like murderers, rapists and drug dealers instead of hard working individuals who simply want to be closer to their families;
- Support small businesses in ensuring they can get the labor they need to grow;
- Make our nation safer by documenting who is actually coming in to our country.
Neither President Trump's wall nor his decision to attempt to "profile" and deport every undocumented worker in the country are practical solutions to the problem of illegal immigration. So much of what we have accomplished in this country is the result of our diversity, our openness, and our willingness to lend a hand to those in need, and we cannot allow racist divisions to stop this progress. The very core of what it means to be an American is at stake.